20 January 2010

Anti-Aging Wheat Blueberry Pancakes

I hardly ever make pancakes... but I just bought some frozen blueberries this week, and pancakes were calling to me on Sunday morning. I did some research on different recipes, trying to figure out a way to make them healthy, but still delicious. I think I developed a good one.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup light sour cream (plain or vanilla yogurt would also work well)
1/2 cup milk (I used 2%)
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large egg
2 tbsp light butter, softened
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (do not thaw)

Whisk together flours and dry ingredients (through salt) in a medium bowl.

Combine sour cream and next 5 ingredients (through egg) in a large mixing bowl. Add flour mixture, and stir until just combined.

Heat a large skillet over medium to medium-low heat. Brush pan with a thin coat of butter, and add batter by 1/4 cup increments. (I used a large ice cream scoop, which was a bit smaller). Top batter with a heaping tablespoon of blueberries.



When bubbles begin to appear on the surface of the pancake (about 2-3 minutes), flip and cook for another 2 -3 minutes. Serve warm.



I topped these with a little melted light butter mixed with honey, and a sprinkling of powdered sugar. Yum!

No comments: